To See Their Faces & Hear Their Voices

Walk on the road with me, during preparation for my trip to Capetown, South Africa

Monday, June 16, 2008

Wow! Are you serious...

Well, I emailed a colleague of mine regarding advisement concerning my SA trip. The following is my email correspondence and their response...

Greetings!My name is Sequoya Hayes and we have had periodic email correspondence throughout the Winter and also Spring / Summer semesters in relation to my trip to South Africa. I was awarded a CAAS SAIO Fellowship but to my dismay have been rethinking my trip because of the attacks that have been taking place throughout SA.Although my work is not primarily in the immediate vicinity of the reported attacks I have become increasingly worried. I have been monitoring the BBC news because as you probably know, the U.S. news has not "picked" the story up. I read Dr. Haniff's "Marumo Fatshe - Put Down Your Spear" however after researching and monitoring the news on a daily basis, I am still unsure of how to proceed.The volunteer program that I will be volunteering with has reassured me that we (volunteers) will be safe in Capetown however this is contrary to the reports.http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7416256.stmI have been following the news reports and it seems that the environment and violence has gotten progressively worse. Especially considering the "migrant camps" that have been constructed, I am worried and I need advisement about what steps I should possibly take.http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7422887.stmI was wondering if you could possibly give me advice regarding the current state affairs in South Africa. This trip would be my first time out of the country. Any advice that you or your colleagues may have would be greatly appreciated!Thanks again Sequoya HayesMSW Candidate '08

Response:
I don't know what to tell you except what I have written in the piece you mentioned. Both myself and my students were safe. There are incidents in all countries and you do have to have perspective on it.However since you have never travelled outside of the country this is a hard one to answer. The response to this from a seasoned traveler will be different from one like yourself. If you are afraid there is nothing I can tell you to alleviate that since you have no reference points of experience in South Africa. It is you in the end who will have to decide what to do. I am sorry not to be of more help.

Needless to say, once I finished reading the response I think my "face cracked" in about three places. After considering their perspective and what I was essentially asking...I'm not sure what type of response I was soliciting.

I know that this is a great opportunity that I may never experience again however, I don't want to jeopardize my safety because I feel obligated to the trip. Everyone that I have worked with over the past few months has been extremely supportive regarding my next steps however this is a decision that I have to make all by myself.

Which is scary...This is going to be a life changing experience and I guess I have to surrender control at some point...everything is not going to be perfect...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home