To See Their Faces & Hear Their Voices

Walk on the road with me, during preparation for my trip to Capetown, South Africa

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Participated in a Brilliant Dialogue

Well, this morning, I attended a dialogue with a visiting scholar, Kim Berman. She has established a paper making organization in South Africa that attempts to empower through skill training for income generation.
"Collaborations in Art, Creative Activity & Increasing Community Resilience and Empowerment"
I found this space to be extremely comfortable and it was a space that allowed growth for my vision for this project. I was so excited just listening to all of the professors discuss their work and how creative expression and advocacy and empowerment for social, economic and political issues collide! One of the speakers, Janie Paul, who established PCAP...was very interesting! I think I am going to inquire about working with her, so I can facilitate a therapeutic writing group with girls in a detention center.
I am torn... I have this desire to pursue a legal career in policy and advocacy, however, I have this passion and feeling about community arts...where do they collide? how does art create change? I felt so at home and peaceful discussing and listening to these scholars. Where is my life going to take me? Preparation for this trip has opened my eyes to my strengths and honestly
what is important to me.
Day in and day out...going to class...going to work...attending meetings...writing proposals...doing research...proofreading papers...I don't want to be average...I am EXTRAORDINARY...Sometimes I get so caught up in the routine of my daily life, that I don't get a chance to reflect on the connection and application of everything that I am currently doing...I am not primarily in school and taking classes, everything needs to fit together and compliment each other...skill sharing and skill building...South Africa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home